Tag Archives: login
There are several possible situations:
- You are using the wrong username/password
Please verify that you are using the correct username and password. This should be your ECE account, not your Andrew account. If you are not sure of your ECE password, you can ask for a password reset [link to password reset]
Please verify that you have typed correctly, checking that Caps Lock is not on by mistake.
- You can login remotely via SSH but not at a graphical console using KDE
Please move/rename the .kde, .kde4 and .qt directories in your home directory. Sometimes when a home directory that is shared between machines that have different versions of linux on them, there is a conflict in these files that cannot be automatically resolved. If you have made customizations to KDE, they will be lost because new configuration files will be created automatically for you when you login again.
You can often verify this by changing the ‘Session Type’ from the login screen to Gnome, Windowmaker, etc.
You should also check the various files in your home directory that are run upon login, such as .bashrc/.cshrc/.login/.bash_profile and verify that they only contain commands that you understand and need.
- You can login to some machines and not others
- You cannot even login from a remote location via SSH
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and give the following information:
- The name of the machine(s) you are attempting to use
- When was the last time you were successfully able to login
- Indication that you have read this document, what you have tried and what results you had